The culmination of a week's worth of events in schools, college, university, workplace and public libraries across the UK, National Libraries Day highlights the great work of librarians and information professionals everywhere.
National Libraries Day will take place on Saturday 7 February 2015.
Why a National Libraries Day?
- To say thank you to our nation’s librarians for the wonderful work they do
- To get people out to visit their library and see the amazing services our libraries offer - and join up if not already a member
- To promote the work of libraries of all kinds in our communities
- It’s a reminder: libraries matter to us all, and this is the time when we can send a collective, public message to decision makers that we love and value our libraries and recognise that no one else can do the work of a professional librarian – especially in an election year
- To get together as a community to celebrate what we value - and libraries are at the heart of this
National Libraries Day is a grassroots celebration led by library staff and library users. It is supported by CILIP and a coalition of leading literacy, reading, library and education organisations including the Reading Agency, the School Library Association and the Society of Chief Librarians.
National Libraries Day 2014
- Over 603 events registered on the website,
- Over 17,000 tweets using the hashtag #NLD14 (3 - 9 Feb)
- A social reach of 286,000 through the Thunderclap
- Support from celebrities and politicians on Twitter
- Nearly 31,000 Facebook users reached
- Over 8,200 website visits (3-8 Feb)
- 38 press mentions (3-10 Feb)
TV and radio
Author and ambassador Lesley Pearce was interviewed on BBC 1 Breakfast TV
Guardian Books Blog coverage
XFM radio station ran a library-themed phone in
Strong regional media coverage
Save Our Libraries Day
National Libraries Day grew from the success of 2011's Save Our Libraries Day, a call-to-action from campaigners such as Alan Gibbons to show politicians how vital our public libraries are to our communities. National Libraries Day expands upon this and is a celebration of all libraries and library staff and the wonderful work that they do.